The Metrology Supervisor is responsible for the preventive maintenance and calibration program for all analytical laboratory instruments and ancillary laboratory equipment as well as production and warehouse instruments. The position requires supervision of direct reports (metrologists and senior metrologists) in the execution of these duties. The Metrology Supervisor provides coordination of activities of calibration in support of production, warehouse, and analytical laboratories to meet established and expected quality, regulatory and customer requirements.
Serves as a coach and mentor to their staff to help them meet their schedules and or resolve technical problems. Insures Standard Operating Procedures and protocols are maintained and applied. A brief description of the job's primary purpose or contribution to the department or organization. This position is exempt from overtime.
• Manage direct reports in the day to day execution and support of the Metrology Group’s responsibilities.
• Maintain metrology SOPs.
• Measure, review and provide periodic reports and briefings to Management on productivity, improvements and performance against commitments, established targets and key indicators.
• Administer the calibration management system (CMS) database to ensure compliant, accurate and timely record keeping of all instrument inventories, schedules, and services.
• Evaluate calibration intervals on new and existing equipment to reflect the risk assessment based upon the calibration history or the manufacturer’s recommendations.
• Initiate, assign, and investigate incident deviations within the Trackwise database.
• Ensure that all documentation and records, including calibration and operation procedures, instrument service records, customer files and training is complete, accurate and maintained in conformance with applicable requirements and Company policies.
• Perform some minor repairs and troubleshooting.
• Represent the department in interactions with other departments as well as internal and external clients to plan for the calibration of equipment
• Arrange and schedule outside calibration, micro certification and vendors as necessary.
• Strengthen inter-departmental relationships at the Supervisor level.
• Along with Manager, responsible for the recruitment and selection of employees for the Metrology group.
• Assure that staff are properly trained in Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and equipment specific requirements.
• Plan and schedule work for the group to ensure proper distribution of assignments.
• Plan and conduct meetings with subordinates to ensure compliance with established practices, to implement new policies and to keep employees abreast of current changes and standards.
• Monitor employee performance and provide appropriate and timely recognition of their contributions.
• Ensure adequate training and development opportunities for your employees.
• Assist employees in setting career goals and managing career expectations.
• In coordination with the Manager, responsible for decisions regarding Staff training, promotions, and disciplinary issues.
• Understand and comply with all Company safety, environmental and quality practices and procedures as outlined in organizational/departmental guidelines and SOPs as well as applicable federal, state and local regulations.
Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or natural science related discipline or similar degree required plus a minimum of 3 years of metrology related experience in a pharmaceutical industry or some combination of the two. Experience with aseptic processing is preferred. Supervisory experience is also preferred.
Must be proficient in developing calibration and instrument suitability procedures for analytical instrumentation and formatting in standard operating procedure document.